Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Ark, the Reed, & the Fire Cloud by Jenny L. Cote


The Ark, the Reed, & the Fire Cloud by Jenny L. Cote

Synopsis

Max, a Scottish terrier, takes his usual morning trot down to the loch where he hears a mysterious Voice humming in the reeds saying, “Come to Me . . . follow the fire cloud.” He embarks on an unknown journey from Scotland, meeting other animals along the way including Liz, a brilliant, petite black cat from France. Max and Liz become the brave leaders for their group, and eventually, for the entire ark. The mysterious journey, filled with danger, humor, trials, and triumphs, leads them across Europe to the Middle East. The moment of arrival for these animals is spectacular as the ark is miraculously transformed into the animals’ natural habitats.
Throughout the prior one hundred years, Noah and family have to endure ridicule from villagers while building the ark. Now this family must painfully witness the loss of lives and total destruction of the earth through the mighty flood.
After the journey to the ark, the voyage in the ark begins. Liz finds ways to keep the animals occupied, including daily exercise led by the flamingos and talent night where the animals entertain each other with their natural abilities. BUT a sinister plot develops. Someone is out to kill Noah and his family. Liz follows clues that lead her to discover a stowaway who has deceived them all. Max and Liz foil the plot, but at a high price. The end climaxes with unexpected twists and turns, taking the: reader from despair to hope.


My Thoughts

I received this book through Bostick Communications and it was a signed copy (which thrilled me). I started to read this and I was frankly dubious about being interested enough in it to finish it. This book is written for young adults and children and is a charming tale reworked about the story of Noah and the Ark.
The story flowed quite smoothly and the characters were endearing although not terribly fleshed out. There was a certain amount of suspended belief as I was reading this book as an adult and not it’s intended audience but I quickly read and enjoyed it.
I would recommend this book to a child and certainly it would be a cute addition to a Sunday school library.
Thank you Jenny L. Cote.

2 comments:

Anna said...

I've heard great things about this book. I passed on it because I thought it was a bit long for my daughter, but now I'm wishing I would've requested a copy!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Confuzzled Shannon said...

I have this one on my TBR pile as well. :-)

I don't think I told you but you won a copy of Kandide and the Secrets of the Mists.http://confuzzledbooks.blogspot.com/2008/11/winner-of-kandide-books-and-refer-book.html
I just need your mailing list email me at lavenderagate(at)yahoo(dot)com
Happy Reading!